Sunday, July 5, 2020

Final Exam


Digital self vs. Real self – Rose Georgieva


A digital footprint is a very real thing, and the idea of a digital footprint is just as important. From the readings we read, information digitally has very different privacy issues than publicly. Once something is put up on the internet, its data remains there forever and its public unless if the settings for this information are disabled. While I do not use social media very often, it is not because I do not want to post things, it is simply because I do not have many things to post online. That being said, I do still have my phone information, email account and othe rbasic information that is usually kept private but I will state that my opinion on this matter varies in my point of view.
Most of the time, I don't mind the stuff I post online, as normally I am not just posting that for my friends to see, but things that I simply do not mind that the public sees. I am mostly open about my life, and if people that know my friends that see the pictures of me they are posting, I mostly do not mind as for the most part I trust them if my friends trust them. While yes, these images stay with me forever, they also showcase memories that I do not mind people knowing about.

"But what about people you do not know posting images of you?"

The people do not know me and my name and if they were to look me up, chances are they would not know where to look. On facebook or instagram they will not tag me as they will not know who I am. Furthermore, How I act online and how act in person are one in the same, and most of the time they should stay like that as being online should not change me as a person let alone showcase I am a different person.

In regards to getting a job, I do not have any information on my facebook that would cause issues with this but let's say that I did. If I am unable to get a job because of some pictures that were private and only meant for a few friends, then I do not see that business lasting long and see that it may come across some controversy related to this. I am a strong believer that something that I said five years ago should not come back to haunt me just because I had different beliefs back then. If I said a satirical joke online, first of all I would not say this publicly and it would only be said via text, in person, or online chat, but if I said this publicly on facebook or instagram or whatever, I should not be judged for it as it was meant to be something in my personal life, it does not replicate my beliefs. What matters to a business should be the person you are in the workplace, the person you are at the interview, and the person you are in reality. Digital and private information should not be the only determining factor.

As such I feel a strong issue with the idea of privacy is partially done by mishandled information and understanding what should be public and what should be in your private scrapbook. You should not be judged for your internet self but should be judged for your real self and I think that is another large issue in the whole digital information age. We start straying from who we are on our personal digital information page rather than an official and formal business one like linked in. It makes us escape the reality of the world and who we really are and I think it is one of the largest issues in a digital information age.

Here is an article that exemplifies this issue and truly shows what this online self vs. real self has become nowadays.
http://www.emilymagazine.com/?p=741

No comments:

Post a Comment